This Chorizo, Cannellini Bean and Butternut Squash Stew is perfect for anyone who loves garlic, chorizo and big bold Spanish flavours. Serve with mashed potato and kale for a hearty, but very easy dinner. Ideal for busy midweek evenings!
Big bold Spanish flavours…
This hearty stew is perfect for anyone who loves big bold Spanish flavours. And it’s so simple to make! All you need to do is fry onion and garlic, then add chorizo and butternut squash. Next, add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some chicken stock. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add a tin of cannellini beans, and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Finally, stir in some chopped fresh parsley and serve!
What to serve with chorizo stew?
I like to serve this heart chorizo stew with a big pile of buttery mashed potato and a large helping of green vegetables. (I find kale goes particularly well.) But if you wanted to make this a one pot, you could simply serve it with some crusty white bread. Alternatively, this stew also goes well with rice.
What to drink with chorizo stew?
A hearty Spanish-style stew requires a hearty Spanish wine! I recommend a Rioja crianza, or a similar style wine from a nearby region – like Navarra. Alternatively, go for a Grenache/Garnacha or Tempranillo (the grape varieties in Rioja) from elsewhere in the world.
Can you reheat chorizo stew?
Absolutely! Put any leftovers into an airtight container and place in the fridge, where they will keep for up to 3 days. To reheat, tip the chorizo stew into a large saucepan, add a splash of water and reheat for 5-10 minutes, until piping hot all the way through.
You can also reheat this chorizo stew in the microwave, if you prefer.
Can you freeze chorizo stew?
This easy chorizo stew freezes beautifully and so makes a great batch cooking / fill the freezer recipe. Put the cooked and cooled chorizo stew into an airtight container and place in the freezer, where it will keep for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat as above.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Chorizo, Cannellini Bean and Butternut Squash Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves grated or crushed
- 200 g chorizo chopped into 1cm / ½inch chunks
- 500 g butternut squash (roughly half a large one), chopped into 1cm / ½inch chunks
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
- Salt and pepper
- 400 g tin cannellini beans drained
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped (plus extra for sprinkling)
- Mashed potatoes, rice or bread
- Green vegetable, such as kale, broccoli or green beans
- Put the olive oil into a wide, deep saucepan and add the onion, garlic and chorizo. Cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for 3 minutes, until the onions have softened but are not brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the butternut squash, stir and fry gently for a further 2 minutes.
- Next, add in the chopped tomatoes and stock, plus some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then turn down and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use this time to cook your mashed potatoes and prepare your veg.
- After 10 minutes add in the tin of cannellini beans. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Use this time to cook your green veg.
- After 10 minutes, add in 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley, stir and then serve with the mashed potatoes, green veg and a glass of Spanish red wine.
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Chorizo, Cannellini Bean and Butternut Squash Stew for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!