This Spanish Style Stew is a must for anyone who loves garlic, chorizo and big bold Spanish flavours. Serve with mashed potato and kale for an easy but hearty, warming dinner. Perfect for chilly evenings.
I am totally addicted to foodie magazines, I absolutely love them. I usually buy Delicious and BBC Good Food every month and then a random selection of other ones. My favourites include Olive, Easy Cook, Eat In and Jamie Magazine. I tend to keep them for ages and then eventually, when my tower of magazines gets a little too high, I pull out all the old ones and rip out the recipes I really like. I then file them away and vow I will make them all (which never happens). But sometimes, when I have the time, I go through all my old magazine cutouts and choose a few that will actually get made! That is where this recipe comes from.
This stew is adapted from a recipe I found in an old edition of Waitrose Weekend (that lovely free weekly newspaper you get in Waitrose stores). The original recipe was similar to the one I make below but in the original recipe the kale was stirred into the stew just before the end. I liked the recipe but fancied the kale separately and I also thought it would go brilliantly with mashed potato. I was right! It is absolutely gorgeous stew but accompanied by a big pile of mashed potato and a mound of kale it is truly wonderful. Just my kind of food.
However if you fancied making this a simple one pot stew, you could just stir the raw kale into the stew about 5 minutes before the stew is ready and serve with some crusty French bread instead. If kale isn’t your thing try serving it with another green vegetable instead: broccoli, green beans of cabbage would all work well here – or a why not try a mix of all three?
This stew goes fabulously with a gutsy Spanish red that’s big and bold enough to stand up to the flavour of the chorizo and all that garlic!
Chorizo, Cannellini Bean and Butternut Squash Stew with Mashed Potatoes and Kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves chopped finely or crushed
- 200 g chorizo chopped into 1cm chunks
- 500 g butternut squash roughly half a large one, chopped into 1cm chunks
- 400 g tin tomatoes
- 100 ml chicken stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- 400 g tin cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped (plus extra for sprinkling)
- Mash and kale or another green vegetable to serve
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a wide, deep saucepan and add the diced onion. Cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes until the onions have softened but are not brown.
- Add in the crushed garlic, stir and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the chorizo, stir and fry gently for 3 minutes. Then add in the butternut squash, stir and fry gently for a further 2 minutes.
- Next, add in the tinned tomatoes and stock (or water) plus some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then turn down and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use this time to cook your mashed potatoes and prepare your kale.
- After 10 minutes add in the tin of cannellini beans. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Use this time to cook your kale. I usually steam the kale over the potatoes for about 5 minutes, until softened but still retaining a bit of bite. (Overcooked kale is a bit yucky!)
- After 10 minutes add in 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley, stir and then serve with the mashed potatoes and kale and a glass of Spanish red wine.
- For added prettiness and flavour, sprinkle some extra parsley over the stew as a garnish.