Simple, delicious and very family friendly, these Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce are perfect for a busy weeknight.
So, did you hear my exciting news last week? I have been asked to become a Lambassador for LAMB Tasty Easy Fun campaign. All this year I will be sharing delicious lamb recipes and interesting and fun facts about lamb, as well as reviewing some of the fab recipes from the LAMB Tasty Easy Fun website.
Last week I shared with you a fun post: 7 myths about lamb and why they are not true, aiming to dispel some of the commonly held myths around lamb – do check it out if you haven’t already!
Today I am sharing with you my review of one of the delicious recipes from the ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun‘ website: Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce.
Whilst I usually cook with lamb on a regular basis, I’m not sure I’ve ever made lamb meatballs before, so I was keen to give these a go.
Making the meatballs was really easy peasy, and I loved the idea of blitzing up the onion, parsley and garlic that go in to flavour the meatballs. It’s much easier than trying to chop the onion up finely and means no nasty chunks of uncooked onion in the finished result – just great tasting meatballs! I’ll definitely be using that tip again.
The tomato sauce that accompanied the meatballs was simple yet flavoursome and I loved the fact that it had carrot and courgette in it to help with getting those 5 a day. My kids really love those veggies too, so it was a great choice for us. If yours don’t, you could easily whizz up the sauce with a hand blender to hide the veggies.
I loved that the recipe was simple, easy to follow and the timing was accurate, but the best bit was the flavour. The meatballs tasted wonderful and so did the sauce. I particularly liked the texture of these meatballs, which is a little softer and less chewy than beef meatballs.
But the best thing about these meatballs was the reaction my kids gave them. My kids are not usually big on compliments when it comes to food (they either say nothing or moan that they don’t like it), so I was completely bowled over by the number of nice things they had to say about the meatballs – my little boy even said at one point ‘this is the best lunch ever’. Seriously high praise from a 6 year old!
My daughter meanwhile wanted to know if she could make these meatballs with me next time (unusual as she normally only ever wants to make cake!) – but stipulated: ‘these exact meatballs, just like this, with this sauce and this pasta’.
These meatballs take less than an hour to make – meaning they are doable on all but the busiest of weeknights.
Better still, it is just as easy to make a double quantity of them, meaning you can freeze the leftovers to have on a really busy night when you just don’t have time to cook. And believe me, once you’ve tried these lovely meatballs you are going to want to have them again!
If you like my Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce…
…you might also like:
- Easy Homemade Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
- Spicy Persian-Style Lamb Meatballs
- Turkey Tikka Masala Meatballs with Bombay New Potatoes
- Easy Homemade Swedish Meatballs (IKEA Copycat)
Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 1 small courgette finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 litre passata
- 1 small onion peeled
- 2 tablespoons parsley plus extra for granish
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- 700 g lamb mince
- 300 g pasta, to serve (rice or couscous would also work well)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C / 160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or hob-proof, casserole dish. Add the large onion, half the garlic, carrots and courgette and soften for 3-4 minutes on a low heat. Sprinkle the oregano over the top, then pour in the passata and stir. Allow to simmer gently on a very low heat.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the small onion, then place in a food processor. Add the parsley, remaining garlic, egg and seasoning. Blitz until smooth.
- Pour this mixture onto the mince, mix well with your hands. Roll into balls roughly the size of a £2 coin and place on a baking sheet covered in baking parchment or foil (or just greased with a little olive oil). Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Five minutes before the meatballs are due to come out of the oven, put the pasta on to cook. Cook according to packet instructions / your own preferences.
- When the meatballs are cooked, add them to the sauce and stir gently. Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes or until your pasta is ready.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce with pasta and an extra sprinkle of parsley.
This is a collaborative post with the ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’ campaign. ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’ is an EU funded campaign which aims to increase the use of lamb in everyday cooking. Lamb is often considered difficult to cook, expensive, or something to be saved for Sunday roasts. The aim of the campaign is to demonstrate just how tasty, easy and fun lamb is to cook with every day of the week! They also have a wonderful website, full of tasty and easy lamb recipes that go way beyond the traditional roast lamb we all know and love.
Pin Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?