A delicious mixture of beans, pasta and root vegetables, this Tuscan Bean Stew is inspired by my student travels and perfect for an easy midweek supper.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Tuscan Bean Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced finely
- 1 small leek sliced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 1 large baking potato peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml water (half the empty tomato can)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400 g tin mixed beans drained
- 100 g macaroni or other small pasta shape
- Small handful basil leaves torn
- Grated Grana Padano or Parmesan for sprinkling (or vegetarian / vegan equivalent)
- Place the olive oil, onion and leek in a large deep saucepan and fry over a gently over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrot, potato and garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and 200ml water to the pan, then crumble in the stock cube and add a little salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then cook over a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the drained tin of mixed beans and cook for 10 more minutes, until the potato is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile cook the macaroni according to pack instructions. When the macaroni is cooked, drain and add to the bean stew.
- Tear up your basil and add to the stew. Serve the stew with the cheese sprinkled over the top, or put the cheese in a bowl on the table for everyone to help themselves.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Tuscan Bean Stew for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.