Turn your Brussels sprouts into something wonderful this year by making this delicious Sprout Gratin – layers of sprouts, bacon and potatoes covered in a creamy garlicky sauce – virtually guaranteed to turn sprout haters into sprout lovers this year!
Do you have a sprout hater in your family? Then this recipe might be just the trick to turn them into a sprout lover. I’ve taken the dreaded Brussels sprout and added it to a gratin with potatoes, garlic, bacon and cream – kind of like dauphinoise potatoes, only better!
This is the kind of recipe you just can’t get enough of!! The kind of dish you eat until you are full… and then keep picking at… and then really really hope the kids won’t like it… (sadly they do!)
You would think the long oven cook would do horrible things to the sprouts, but actually it doesn’t – they take on a salty, garlicky, creamy wonderfulness – as well as adding an extra touch of earthiness to the rest of the dish.
If you’ve never tried sprout dauphinois before, you really need to!
It’s also a wonderfully simple dish to make – all you need to do it prep the ingredients, layer them up, pour over the cream and let the oven do the rest of the work – simple!
This sprout gratin would make great boxing day dish – perfect for using up an excess of potatoes and sprouts in the fridge (surely it’s not just me who gets a bit excited at Christmas and orders way too many???). It would be delicious served up along-side cold roast turkey leftovers, sausages or ham.
Alternatively you could serve this dish as a main course in its own right with some green veg or salad on the side.
For more Brussels sprouts recipe ideas check out my post on How to make sprouts interesting – 10 + exciting and unusual brussels sprouts recipes to tantalise your taste buds and turn sprout haters into sprout lovers!
- 90 g bacon diced (or use ready prepared lardons)
- 750 g baking potatoes sliced thinly (2mm ish)
- 150 g sprouts sliced thinly (4mm ish)
- 4 cloves garlic grated or crushed
- Salt and Pepper
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml cream
- 10 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 / 350F
- Fry the bacon/lardons for 5 minutes, stirring until golden brown
- Slice potatoes and sprouts thinly and crush or grate the garlic
- Grease a small roasting tin with a little butter
- Lay a thin layer of sliced potatoes in the base of the tin (approx. 1/3 of the potatoes) followed by half the sprouts, half the lardons, half the garlic and a little salt and pepper.
- Repeat the same pattern again and then finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Mix together the milk and cream. Pour over the gratin and dot with butter.
- Cook for 40 mins at 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 / 350F covered with foil, then 20 mins at 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F uncovered.
- Serve with ham, sausages or leftover turkey. Alternatively serve as a main course with green veg or salad on the side.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?