A Boxing Day classic reinvented, these Leftover Sprouts Bubble and Squeak Cakes are the ideal way to use up all your Christmas dinner leftovers – especially the leftover Brussels sprouts!
Hands up who makes too much food on Christmas day? Me, me, me!! I always make too much – partly because I want to make sure everyone has enough, partly because I always forget that all the snacking on Christmas morning, means no-one is very hungry – but also because too much food on Christmas Day, means lots of delicious things to eat on Boxing Day.
One of my favourite things to make with Christmas dinner leftovers are these delicious, and oh so easy Leftover Sprouts Bubble and Squeak Cakes.
Simply mash together leftover sprouts (or any other leftover vegetables) and leftover mashed or roast potatoes. Shape into cakes, dust with a little flour and fry in butter or oil.
These Leftover Sprouts Bubble and Squeak Cakes make delicious meal in their own right served with salad or baked beans. Alternatively they make a great side dish to sausages or leftover cold meats.
They are also a great make-ahead dish. Simply shape them and put them in the fridge, ready to fry later. Alternatively fry them in advance and warm through for 15-20 minutes in the oven at 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 / 350F.
These Leftover Sprouts Bubble and Squeak Cakes also freeze beautifully!
Leftover Sprouts Bubble and Squeak Cakes
- 300 g leftover sprouts (and/or other leftover vegetables)
- 750 g leftover mashed or roast potatoes
- 25 g butter (or 2 tablespoons olive oil)
- 4 tablespoons milk (or cream) optional
- Salt and pepper
- Mash the sprouts (and/or other leftover vegetables) and potatoes together with the milk, salt and pepper. Shape the mash into little burger shapes.
- Tip a little plain flour onto a plate and roll the bubble and squeak cakes in the flour to coat.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Swirl to coat the base of the pan.
- Put the cakes into the frying pan and fry for 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. If you are doing a lot, or want to do them ahead of time, keep warm on a plate in a low oven and repeat until they are all done.
- Serve with salad, beans, sausages or leftover cold meats.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?