A Christmas twist on this traditional Irish dish, my Sprout and Leek Colcannon is perfect for using up an excess of Brussels sprouts. Perfect with baked beans and sausages on a cold winter night!
Colcannon is an Irish dish, traditionally made with a mix of creamed potatoes and cabbage or kale. Here I’ve adapted the recipe to include a mixture of leeks and sprouts.
This is a really tasty way to eat Brussels sprouts (it might even convince a few sprout refuseniks) as well as being a lovely alternative to plain mashed potatoes.
To make my Sprout and Leek Colcannon, I first pan fry sliced leeks and Brussels sprouts, then mix them in to mashed potatoes. However this would also be a great way of using up leftover Brussels sprouts from Christmas Day.
This delicious Sprout and Leek Colcannon would go brilliantly with sausages and gravy or baked beans. The best sort of comfort food on a cold winter’s night!
If you have any Colcannon left over, you could turn it into my Leftover Sprouts Bubble and Squeak Cakes the next day!
For more inspiring ways to eat Brussels sprouts check out my post on How to Make Sprouts Interesting – 10+ ways to elevate the humble sprout into something a little bit special!
Sprout and Leek Colcannon
- 750 g potatoes chopped into 1cm cubes
- 50 g butter
- 180 g leeks sliced thinly (4mm ish)
- 180 g sprouts sliced thinly (4mm ish)
- 4 tablespoons milk (or cream)
- Salt and pepper
- Put the diced potatoes in a pan. Cover with boiling water. Bring back to the boil and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Melt the butter over a low heat.
- When the butter is melted add in the sliced leeks and sprouts. Stir to coat in the melted butter then put a lid on and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the potatoes, leeks and sprouts are done, mash together with plenty of butter and milk (or cream), plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sausages and gravy or baked beans.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?