Got leftover roast turkey? Turn it into this delicious Leftover Turkey Fried Rice in just 15 minutes! (And if you’ve got leftover veggies, ham… or even leftover pigs in blankets, you can throw them in too!) No leftover turkey? No problem. You can make this easy fried rice recipe with turkey mince or fresh diced turkey breast.
The BEST leftover turkey recipe!
Leftover Turkey Fried Rice is the BEST leftover turkey recipe! (Even better than Leftover Turkey Curry IMHO. And I LOVE leftover turkey curry.)
- It’s quick (only 15 minutes from start to finish!)
- It only uses a handful of basic store-cupboard ingredients (like rice, soy sauce, eggs, peas…)
- It’s a great way to use up all your other leftovers (veggies, ham – even pigs in blankets!)
- It takes FANTASTIC! (so much nicer than a cold turkey sandwich)
So easy to make!
Leftover Turkey Fried Rice is also super easy to make. All you need to do is heat oil in a wok (or large frying pan) for 1 minute. Then add cooked rice, frozen peas, leftover turkey, plus any other leftovers and fry for 3 minutes. Next, make a well in the middle of the rice mixture and pour in beaten eggs. Cook for 45 seconds, then mix the rice mixture and eggs together. Continue frying for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you start to get some nice crispy brown bits. Finally, Stir through soy sauce, sesame oil and spring onions and serve. Easy peasy!
(Full recipe given in the recipe card below.)
A sneaky shortcut
To make this dish super quick and easy, I have a sneaky shortcut – I use microwavable pouches of rice! If you just get the plain ones, all you are buying is cooked rice, but it saves the faff of having to cook and cool rice (because you should always use cold rice to make fried rice).
**TOP TIP: break up the microwave rice by massaging it while it is still in the closed packet. This will ensure the cooked rice is beautifully separated and not in one big clump!**
Make it your own…
This is such a flexible recipe, you can easily adapt it to what you have available in the fridge and cupboards. For example, you can…
- Use brown rice instead of white rice
- Add extra veggies, such as sweetcorn, peppers, carrots or mushrooms (instead of, or as well as, the peas)
- Use Worcestershire sauce instead of soy sauce
- Use leftover chicken, pork or beef instead of the leftover turkey
- Use turkey mince instead of the leftover turkey (fry up the turkey mince before adding the cooked rice and frozen peas)
- Use diced fresh turkey breast instead of the leftover turkey (fry up the diced fresh turkey breast before adding the cooked rice and frozen peas)
- Add some roasted peanuts or cashew nuts in at the end
(I’d love to hear about how you have adapted my recipe… Let me know in the comments section below!)
What to serve with turkey fried rice
This Turkey Fried Rice really is a complete meal on its own… and that’s how I usually eat it. But you can also serve it as part of a bigger meal together with some of your other Asian-inspired favourites, for example:
What to drink with turkey fried rice
Like so many Asian-style recipes, Turkey Fried Rice goes really well with aromatic white wines, such as Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, Riesling (especially off-dry Riesling), Pinot Gris or Gewürztraminer. Alternatively, this dish also works well with dry, fruity rosés.
What to do with leftover turkey fried rice?
I don’t recommend reheating this dish. Rice can lead to food poisoning if reheated incorrectly, and it is never a good idea to reheat food that has already been reheated once before.
And besides, it’s so delicious, you are very unlikely to have any leftovers!
Can you freeze leftover turkey fried rice?
No, this recipe is not suitable for freezing.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Leftover Turkey Fried Rice (The BEST Leftover Turkey Recipe!)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 g cooked long grain white rice (I use 2 x Tesco Long Grain Microwave Rice – see Note 1)
- 300-500 g leftover cooked turkey shredded
- 100 g frozen peas
- 200 g leftover Christmas vegetables (e.g. carrots, brussels sprouts – see Note 2)
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce (or GF tamari)
- 2 spring onions sliced finely (plus extra for garnish)
- Fresh coriander, chopped spring onions and/or sliced red chillies to garnish
- Put the olive oil in a large frying pan or wok and heat over a medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked rice, shredded turkey, frozen peas, leftover Christmas veggies. Stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile crack the eggs into a large mug or small jug and whisk together lightly with a fork. Make a well in the middle of the rice mixture and pour in the eggs – cook for 45 seconds, then mix the rice mixture and eggs together.
- Continue frying for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you start to get some nice crispy brown bits.
- Stir through the soy sauce, sesame oil and spring onions and turn off the heat.
- Serve scattered with coriander, chopped spring onions and/or sliced red chillies.
- I use pouches of microwave rice to speed up the cooking process and make this recipe even simpler. But, if you prefer, you can use ordinary uncooked long grain white rice instead. You will need to use approximately 250g (9oz) uncooked rice. Cook according to packet instructions then cool the hot rice in a sieve under cold water until it’s properly cold, and drain thoroughly. **TOP TIP: break up the microwave rice by massaging it while it is still in the closed packet. This will ensure the cooked rice is beautifully separated and not in one big clump!**
- If you don’t have any leftover Christmas veg, use 200g (7oz) of any combination of sweetcorn, diced carrot, diced red pepper, diced courgette or diced mushrooms. Or use 200g (7oz) frozen mixed vegetables.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Leftover Turkey Fried Rice for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!