Got leftover roast turkey? Want to turn it into a quick and easy meal that is a bit more interesting than turkey sandwiches? Then make my Leftover Turkey Chilli Con Carne! No leftover turkey? No problem! This can also be made with leftover roast chicken too. Alternatively, make from scratch using diced or ground turkey.
It’s the same every year. The day after Christmas and the fridge is heaving with leftovers! But what to do with them? Of course, you could keep it super simple and just make a sandwich or have cold meat with potatoes and vegetables… but if you want to be more adventurous this year, why not try my Leftover Turkey Chilli Con Carne?
This is such an easy peasy recipe, and takes just 30 minutes, but it tastes fabulous. Better still, if you’ve got a bit fed up of turkey, you can make a big batch of this and freeze it for homemade ready meals later on in the month. Just defrost and reheat by warming in a pan until it’s piping hot. Serve with rice and/or tortillas for a quick and easy meal later on in January.
(Please only do this if you have not already frozen your turkey leftovers… You should never freeze cooked turkey more than once – so make this chilli first, then freeze!)
If it’s not Christmas time when you are reading this, and you don’t have any turkey leftovers, the good news is this delicious Chilli Con Carne can be made using roast chicken leftovers too!
Alternatively, if you don’t have any leftover meat, simply brown some diced or ground turkey first and then continue with the rest of the recipe.
Serve with rice and/or tortillas and all your favourite extras: salsa, guacamole, extra chillies, extra lime, coriander, sour cream etc.
More leftover turkey recipes…
For more great ways to use up leftover roast turkey check out my roundup of 10 Easy Ideas for your Turkey leftovers.
Leftover Turkey Chilli Con Carne
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (or fresh chilli to taste)
- 1 red or yellow (bell) pepper diced
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin kidney beans (or black beans, or pinto beans)
- 400 g leftover roast turkey shredded (see note)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g sweetcorn (optional)
- Juice of ½ a lime (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coriander (optional)
- Rice or tortillas to serve
- All your favourite extras: salsa, guacamole, extra chillies, extra lime, coriander, sour cream etc.
- Place the olive oil and diced onion in a wide, deep pan and fry on a gentle heat for 3 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika and chilli flakes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the diced (bell) peppers, tomatoes, beans, cooked turkey, oregano, salt and pepper and give everything a good stir. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle bubble for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While the chilli is cooking, make the rice according to packet instructions / your own preferences (or heat the tortillas).
- After 15 minutes, add in the sweetcorn and lime juice and cook for 5 more minutes.
- When the chilli is ready, stir in the chopped coriander and serve with rice and/or tortillas, and all your favourite extras.
- If don’t have any turkey leftovers, use 400g (14oz) leftover roast chicken instead. Alternatively brown 400g (14oz) diced or ground turkey (or chicken) and then continue with the rest of the recipe.
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!