The easiest Chicken Fajitas EVER! My Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are oven baked on one tray – meaning less hands-on time, less washing up, gorgeous roasted peppers and even tastier chicken! What’s not to like?
The Traybake Queen
Many of my blogging friends affectionately know me as the Traybake Queen – I am so passionate about this style of cooking. It makes my life so much easier: just a few minutes of prep, then let the oven do all the hard work AND there’s so little washing up! Perfect for busy midweek evenings.
Not only is this style of cooking easier, it’s also tastier – we all know how much nicer ROASTED FOOD tastes, right?
Chicken Fajitas Traybake Style!
Know what else I’m super passionate about? Mexican flavours! So what better way to combine my two loves than in this dish – Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas?
Erm, Eb… why ‘sheet pan’?
Well, I did toy with calling this dish Easy Chicken Fajitas Traybake – but, believe it or not I’m not the first person to come up with the idea of oven baked chicken fajitas (I know – crazy, huh?) and this style of cooking all in one baking tray is often known as ‘sheet pan’ cooking – especially in the USA.
I checked to see which version more people were searching for on Google and it’s definitely Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas. So that’s what I went for. I want this recipe to get found by as many people as possible – because it is SOOOO GOOD!!
The easiest Chicken Fajitas you’ll ever make…
It doesn’t matter whether you call these Chicken Fajitas Traybake or Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas – these are the easiest chicken fajitas you’ll ever make!
Create a super simple chicken fajita marinade – then add the chicken, peppers and onions. Mix together, spread out on a baking tray (AKA a sheet pan!) and roast in a hot oven for 20 minutes.
Dinner in just 30 minutes from start to finish – and hardly any washing up! Perfect for busy weeknights 😀 (and P.S. my kids LOVE this dinner!!)
If you have a little more time on your hands, you can absolutely leave the chicken to marinate in the marinade for a while – an hour or two is great, up to 24 hours if you can! This will make the dish even more flavoursome and the chicken even more tender – but it’s not essential.
The tastiest Chicken Fajitas you’ll ever make…
Not only does this neat sheet pan shortcut mean making chicken fajitas is ten times easier. Oven baking this dish means much tastier chicken fajitas too!
We all know how much nicer roasted peppers and roasted onions are, right? And I don’t need to tell you how good roasted chicken is, do I? Now imagine that effect smothered in Mexican flavours and all the flavours of the dish intermingled and you get the idea… Serious levels of yumminess!
I’m pretty confident in saying that I will NEVER go back to the standard frying pan way of making chicken fajitas EVER AGAIN!!
The best way to cook Chicken Fajitas for a crowd!
Not only does this make for a great way to cook chicken fajitas for a simple weeknight dinner, it’s also a great way to cook chicken fajitas for a crowd.
Anyone who has tried to cook chicken fajitas for more than about 4 people will know that it involves a lot of frying pan juggling, and usually the frustration that nothing really gets that ‘charred’ flavour and everything kind of steams rather than fries, right?
Well oven baking is the perfect way to cook Chicken Fajitas for a bigger group and avoid ALL these problems.
The recipe below is for 4 people and fits in one large baking tray – but so long as you have the oven space, you can simply up the quantities and use more oven trays and voilà – an easy, delicious way to feed a crowd!
What to serve with Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas?
This traybaked version of Chicken Fajitas goes with everything the regular chicken fajitas go with: guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, fresh coriander (cilantro), or whatever else you usually serve with your fajitas!
The other neat thing about this recipe is that you can warm your tortillas in the oven – which is on anyway. I like to wrap the tortillas in foil and then chuck them in the oven for the last 8 minutes of cooking time. So simple! (Pro tip: gently separate your tortillas first before wrapping in foil – it will prevent them sticking together!)
What wine goes with Chicken Fajitas?
Matching wine with chicken fajitas can be a bit tricky: normally white wine goes best with chicken, but because of all those spicy charred flavours, actually a fruity rosé or even a red works surprisingly well here.
If you want to stick to white, go for either a Chilean or New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, which works really well with the zingy zesty lime and fresh coriander flavours.
Alternatively, try a fruity French or Spanish Grenache-based rosé or red, which goes so well with those smoky, spicy, charred flavours and the sweet peppers.
What to do with leftover Chicken Fajitas?
I always make extra Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas because it makes SUCH GOOD LEFTOVERS! You can either eat it cold as a wrap or with salad the next day.
Or do what I do, and turn it into a kind of ‘chicken fajita chilli con carne’, simply by adding tinned tomatoes! I place the chicken and some chopped tinned tomatoes in a saucepan and heat until the chicken is piping hot all the way through and the tomatoes have reduced to a lovely rich, spicy tomato sauce. Serve either with rice or just with an extra generous helping of leftover guacamole and /or some sour cream for a low carb lunch!
My Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas also freeze beautifully if you want to save the leftovers for a time further in the future or fancy a spot of batch cooking.
Like this recipe?
Then you might also like these other chicken traybake recipes on Easy Peasy Foodie…
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Easy Chicken Fajitas Marinade
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (more if you like things hot!)
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic grated or crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 2 large chicken breasts sliced into thin strips
- 2 large red onions cut into thick wedges
- 3 (bell) peppers – I like to use a mix of colours sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped finely
- 8 – 12 flour or corn tortilla wraps depending on appetite
- Your choice of guacamole / sour cream / salsa / grated cheese / extra limes & coriander / tortilla chips to serve - any or all of them!
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix together thoroughly. Add the chicken and turn to coat. (Optional: leave to marinate for 1-2 hours in the fridge…or up to 24 hours if you’ve got the time!)
- Add the peppers and onions and turn again. Tip everything in the bowl out onto a large oven tray and spread out so everything is in one layer. (Tip: use two oven trays if you haven’t got one big enough.)
- When the oven has heated up, place the baking tray in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are lightly charred. (To check if the chicken is cooked all the way through, choose the thickest piece of chicken and cut it in half – if it is completely white with no pink, it is cooked. And if the thickest piece is cooked, so should all the thinner ones!)
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven for the last 8 minutes of cooking time. Remove from the oven but keep wrapped in foil until needed.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the chopped coriander and serve in the pan on the table, together with the warm tortilla wraps and whatever extras you have chosen for people to make up their own fajitas. Enjoy!
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!