Rather decadent, but deliciously easy, this Chocolate Tart with Cranberries, Orange and Pistachios is great as an alternative to Christmas pudding or perfect for a Christmas party.
Where do you stand on Christmas pudding? Do you love it or loathe it? Do you ever have room for it on Christmas day?
I personally love it and usually try to have it several times over the Christmas period, but I know lots of people who can’t stand it and, in any case, there are lots of pudding occasions over the festive season – and even I don’t want to have Christmas pudding every time!
I wanted to come up with something that was quick and easy, could be made any old time, Christmas or not, BUT that was also really festive and Christmassy.
A tall order, until I remembered my Easter chocolate tart. This was a fun tart that I invented one Easter when everyone had gone quite mad over creme eggs and I wanted to get in on the act too, but without the fuss and palaver that some of the bakes took (I’m just not that patient). So I created my Easy Peasy 5 Ingredient Creme Egg Chocolate Tart. And at the time, I had planned to make the tart again.
And actually I did! I made a lovely summer version covered in berries, which I served to my brother and sister-in-law when they were here. And being a busy day, I quite forgot to photograph it, so it never made it to the blog…
But it is such a lovely easy tart, that I really wanted to make a Christmas version of it – so I threw cranberries, orange zest and pistachios at it and it really, really worked – imagine a posh version of Cadbury’s Fruit and Nut crossed with a dark Terry’s Chocolate Orange and it’s kind of like that but better, and looks fancier, and takes approximately 10 minutes to make, and is just perfect for all those events where someone asks you to bring a pudding and you quite frankly haven’t got the time because, well it’s Christmas and you’re stupidly busy and stressed out enough already…
Well… make this for them and enjoy the oohs and aahs and smile smugly and hide the packet that the ready-made pastry case came in and no one will ever know – except me and I promise not to tell 😉
If you want to drink wine with this – and, well, why not? It is Christmas after all! I am a huge fan of dessert wines and it makes me sad they are not drunk often enough. This would be brilliant with a Maury (sweet Grenache-based red wine from Roussillon in SW France) or a Tokay (sweet wine from Hungary) or one of my all-time favourites: Brown Brothers Orange Muscat & Flora from Australia.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Chocolate Tart with Cranberries, Orange and Pistachios
- 300 ml cream
- 50 g butter
- 200 g 70% dark chocolate I used Lindt, broken up into squares (ish)
- 75 g dried cranberries
- 75 g pistachio kernels
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 all-butter sweet pastry case I used Tesco Finest
- Put the butter and cream in a pan and heat on a very low heat until the butter has just melted. (Don’t allow the cream to boil).
- As soon as the butter has melted, remove the cream and butter mix from the heat and add in the broken up chocolate pieces and stir vigorously until it is smooth and glossy and all the chocolate has melted.
- Add two thirds of the cranberries and pistachios and roughly half of the orange zest and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the pre-made pastry case and smooth over with the back of a spoon.
- Decorate with the remaining cranberries, pistachios and orange zest.
- Once you’ve decorated your chocolate tart, you need to leave it for about an hour to set. If you are going to eat this relatively soon (within an hour or two), you can leave it to set at room temperature. If you are making this ahead of time, I would pop it in the fridge. (It does lose its shine a bit when refrigerated, but still tastes delicious!)
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Chocolate Tart with Cranberries, Orange and Pistachios for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!