There are A LOT of eggciting (sorry) creme egg bakes and makes out in the blogosphere at the moment. (If you want to see a selection, check out my Creme Egg Recipes Pinterest Board) but quite a few of them are a bit tricky and / or take a lot of time. I wanted to create something that was easy, speedy and didn’t take any special skills BUT was super delicious and looked attractive, which is how I came up with my Easy Peasy 5 ingredient Creme Egg Chocolate Tart. It is so quick and simple and yet looks gorgeous and tastes AMAZING! This would be perfect to serve for dessert on Easter Day 🙂
I have to admit, in order to make this quite so quick and simple, I did cheat a bit and bought a ready-made sweet pastry case. I do this quite a lot. It means you can have all the fun of making your own tart and none of the hassle / stress / mess involved with making your own tart base and it looks amazing every time! I bought mine from Tesco, but have previously used ones from Waitrose and Marks and Spencer’s, which I have also been very pleased with. You can, of course, make the pastry base yourself first if you want to.
The filling is a very simple 3 ingredient chocolate ganache made from butter, cream and 70% cocoa dark chocolate – I used Lindt. My ganache really is a foolproof recipe: you put the butter and cream in a pan and heat on a very low heat until the butter has just melted (don’t allow the cream to boil). As soon as the butter has melted, you remove the cream and butter mix from the heat and add in the broken up chocolate pieces and stir like mad until it is smooth and glossy and all the chocolate has melted. Then just pour it into the pre-made pastry case, smooth over and decorate!
To decorate the tart I used those all-important creme eggs. To ensure my creme eggs didn’t melt too much I put them in the freezer for about an hour before I wanted to used them. I then carefully cut them in half along the join, using a sharp knife (TOP TIP: buy more than you need, as they don’t always cut in half perfectly – the not quite perfect ones are the cooks perks – obviously!). Decorating is so easy: you just plonk the creme eggs on top and push down gently so the cut edge is level with the top of the ganache. If you don’t fancy using creme eggs, this is a super ‘tarte au chocolat’ with no decoration at all, or you could use mini eggs, rose petals, sieved cocoa powder, piped white chocolate icing or chopped nuts – let your imagination run wild!
Once you’ve decorated your chocolate tart you need to leave it for about an hour to set. If you are going to eat this relatively soon (within an hour or two) you can leave it to set at room temperature. If you are making this ahead of time, I would pop it in the fridge. (It does lose its shine a bit when refrigerated, but still tastes delicious!)
Easy Peasy 5 Ingredient Creme Egg Chocolate Tart
- 300 ml double cream
- 50 g butter
- 200 g 70% dark chocolate I used Lindt, broken up into squares (ish)
- 1 all-butter sweet pastry case I used Tesco Finest
- 6 mini Cadbury’s Creme Eggs or as many as you want to use!, frozen for 1 hour
- Put your creme eggs in the freezer for about an hour before you start to make this tart. Just before you begin to make the tart, take the creme eggs out and cut them in half along the join.
- Put the butter and cream in a pan and heat on a very low heat until the butter has just melted. (Don’t allow the cream to boil).
- As soon as the butter has melted, remove the cream and butter mix from the heat and add in the broken up chocolate pieces and stir vigorously until it is smooth and glossy and all the chocolate has melted.
- Pour the chocolate filling into the pre-made pastry case and smooth over with the back of a spoon.
- Arrange the creme eggs on top of the chocolate ganache, pushing them down gently so the cut edge is level with the top of the ganache.
For more Easy Peasy Cakes, Desserts and Puddings, why not check out my Recipe Collection? You can find more Recipe Collections in the sidebar – just click on the one that takes your fancy!