A really easy recipe for gluten free Mini Egg Brownies that are deliciously fudgy and chewy on the inside and crunchy on the outside, stuffed full of little mini eggs – making them perfect for Easter!
You can tell Easter is coming when the whole internet world explodes with chocolate…and variations on the creme egg and mini egg theme abound! Last year I had a lot of fun making this 5 Ingredient Creme Egg Chocolate Tart, so this year I thought I would have a play with mini eggs instead…
And these Mini Egg Brownies are super simple to make…I have been working for a while on creating a really easy peasy version of brownies and I think I’ve cracked it!
Most recipes call for brownies to be made with melted chocolate, but I wanted to see if I could create one that was made just with cocoa powder – partly to make things quicker and simpler (it means you don’t need to bother with a bain marie), partly to make things cheaper (good quality dark chocolate is generally more expensive than good quality cocoa powder), and partly to make this recipe more flexible…
Often brownies made with dark chocolate are very, very chocolatey. Now this is not much of a problem for me, I’m a dark chocolate kind of a girl, but I know lots of people (and kids especially) prefer a more milk chocolate kind of flavour, and with these easy peasy brownies all you need to do to switch between the two is amend the amount of cocoa powder…30g for milk chocolate style brownies, 60g for dark chocolate style brownies, 90g if (like me) you love that really, really dark chocolate flavour. (I’ve put all this in the recipe notes too.)
Then to make these extra Eastery I added a whole load of mini eggs into the mix. You really do need to add this many or they kind of get a bit lost…I know 250g mini eggs sounds a lot, but it’s worth it for that true mini egg experience…and let’s face it, this was never going to be a diet option, was it?!
And as an added extra (I do like to set myself a challenge) I have made these Mini Egg Brownies gluten free, by using The Free From Fairy’s fabulous gluten free plain flour…which is just as amazing as her gluten free self-raising flour!
Vicki from The Free From Fairy has developed the most amazing flours, free from wheat, gluten AND rice… Last week I shared with you my Gluten Free Mini Simnel Cakes, made using her self raising flour which is just fabulous and can be swapped into a standard recipe without making any other changes…in fact I made gluten free and regular batches of both my mini simnel cakes and these brownies and there was very little difference in texture (the gluten free ones were maybe just a touch more crumbly), but the gluten free ones actually tasted nicer! To find out more check out my review of Free From Fairy flour here.
I made this particular batch of brownies gluten free as I have been challenged to create free from Easter recipes as part of the Free From Gang’s #FreeFromEaster Challenge. For more information about who else is taking part in the #FreeFromEaster Challenge and what delicious recipes they’ve been cooking up, see below the recipe.
Just as a side note, regarding the mini eggs – my understanding is that currently (in the UK) Cadbury’s mini eggs are gluten free, but that this has not always been the case and may not be the case in the future. So if you are at all unsure do check for yourself (Coeliac UK have a handy Easter list you can download here). If you are worried about it, these brownies work just fine without the mini eggs, or just substitute for something you know you are fine with – e.g. nuts/raisins/raspberries etc.
If you need these to be dairy free too, you could substitute the butter for dairy free spread and swap the mini eggs for a dairy free alternative.
Of course if you don’t have any allergies, these brownies work just as well with regular plain flour too!
And one more side note – these brownies are OK with regular white caster sugar, but much, much nicer with light soft brown sugar, believe me it’s well worth the extra trip to the supermarket! If you want to make these even more rich and fudgy, you could go all the way and use the dark soft brown sugar…if you do this I recommend going with the 90g of cocoa powder option – for something very dark and decadent, but not for the faint hearted! 😉
If you like this recipe…
…you might like:
- Mini Egg Rocky Road
- Easy Creme Egg Brownies
- Easy Cocoa Powder Brownies (No Chocolate Required!)
- Easy Peasy 5 Ingredient Creme Egg Chocolate Tart
- Easy Simnel Cake Traybake
- Easter Chocolate Cornflake Nests (only 3 ingredients!)
Mini Egg Brownies (Gluten Free)
- 150 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 300 g soft brown sugar
- 150 g gluten free plain flour (I used Free From Fairy)
- 30-90 g cocoa powder see note
- 250 g mini eggs bashed
- Start by melting the butter in a saucepan. As soon as it has melted take it off the heat and allow to cool – don’t allow it to bubble!
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F.
- Grease and line the base and at least two sides of a brownie tin. I find just lining two sides easier and full lining is not necessary for this recipe.
- Measure the flour and cocoa powder into large bowl.
- Crack the eggs into a jug or bowl and whisk together lightly.
- Add the sugar and lightly whisk together until combined, then pour in the melted butter, whisking gently until combined.
- Pour the eggs/sugar/butter mix into the flour and cocoa and stir to combine.
- Place all the mini eggs in a sealable plastic bag. Seal and then bash with a rolling pin until broken into pieces of varying sizes.
- Stir half the mini eggs into the mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and spread out evenly. Scatter over the remaining bashed up mini eggs.
- Place in your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes depending on how gooey you like your brownies in the middle. Don’t test with a skewer because you want it to be a bit gooey inside!
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin then lift out and chop into 24 squares.
Pin Gluten Free Mini Egg Brownies for later
And here’s what the rest of the fabulous Free From Gang have been making…
Chocolate Marshmallow Crispie Squares – Nathalie at The Intolerant Gourmand
Quick Chocolate Cream Nests – Rebecca at Glutarama
Easter Rocky Road – Nova at Cherished By Me
Hot Cross Bun Chocolate Rolls – Vicki at The Free From Fairy
No Bake Creme Egg Biscuit Cake – Kate at Gluten Free Alchemist
Mini Eggs White Chocolate Fudge – Grace at Eats Amazing
Gluten Free Mini Simnel Cakes – Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie
Easter Fairy Cakes – Laura at Dairy Free Kids
And if you like these Mini Egg Brownies then do come back on Thursday, when I will be sharing another Mini Egg themed treat!
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!