Stuck for ideas for your leftover turkey? Want to do something tasty, but also quick and easy? Want something other than turkey curry or turkey sandwiches this year? Then why not try my Turkey, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos? (Can also be made with fresh turkey fillets.)
This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a penny more – thanks in advance!
It seems like a million billion years ago now (exagerate? moi?), but back in October my lovely hubby took me out for my birthday. We had a lovely day pottering round Brighton, visiting the Royal Pavillion and eating lunch in a restaurant I’ve wanted to try out for ages – Wahaca!
Wahaca is actually a small chain of restaurants, specialising in authentic Mexican food and owned by former Masterchef winner Thomasina Miers. I love Wahaca’s sustainable, local, seasonal approach and the fact they try to keep in balance healthy food and hearty food. But most of all I love the menu…which is huge and so delicious sounding, it makes you want to lick your computer screen!
We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Wahaca and I came away with so many ideas buzzing around my head…and then promptly life got so busy I didn’t have time to get creative in the kitchen, and then BOOM it was Christmas and I was starting to work on my Christmas recipes…
But it occurred to me that tacos would be just the perfect way to use up leftover roast turkey in an exciting and creative, but also quick and easy way…because, after cooking up a feast on Christmas day, no-one wants to be stuck in the kitchen for hours on Boxing Day, do they?
So I set to designing these simple but delicious Turkey, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos!
One of my absolute favourites at Wahaca was the delicious smoky roast sweet potato, so that was the first dish I recreated, then with the turkey I simply added spices, black beans, sweetcorn and chilli and served it all up with feta, coriander and some Wahaca Yellow Corn Tacos and Wahaca Chipotle Salsa – SO GOOD!!
This recipe is a total feast for your tastebuds, but is actually super easy to make and only takes 30 minutes from start to finish. And of course you can add in all your favourite extras if you wish: homemade salsa, guacamole, sour cream – or just keep it super simple, like I did. Either way is good.
Not only is Wahaca an awesome restaurant chain, but they also do lovely products to buy in the supermarkets too – tacos, marinades and salsas, plus taco kits which are perfect for a super easy peasy dinner. They are, admittedly, not the cheapest, but flavour-wise they are definitely a cut above the regular taco/fajita kits on the market. Well worth the extra pennies.
And if you want to create some more gorgeous Mexican food at home, there is also a Wahaca cookery book…I don’t have that one yet, but it is on my Christmas list – looks amazing!!
If you don’t have any leftover turkey this is still a quick and delicious meal and would make a great midweek treat. Simply use fresh turkey, chop it into cubes and fry for about 5 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients. This could also be done with chicken, if you prefer.
I kind of think with this style of food, you should be drinking a margarita or some tequila, but if you would prefer wine, go for a fresh, crisp Sauvignon blanc, from Chile (or Mexico itself, if you can find one!) or else try a Mexican beer, such as Sol or Corona.
More leftover turkey recipes…
For more great ways to use up leftover roast turkey check out my roundup of 10 Easy Ideas for your Turkey leftovers.
Turkey, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
Roasted Sweet Potato
- 300 g sweet potato cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
Turkey & Blackbeans
- 400 g turkey cubed (either leftover turkey or fresh turkey breast– I used turkey mini fillets for these photos)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste, or use fresh chilli if you prefer)
- 400 g tin black beans drained
- 100 g sweetcorn (serve the rest of the tin in a small bowl for people to help themselves)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 8 tortilla wraps (I used 1 pack of Wahaca yellow corn tacos - you may want 2 packs depending on appetites!)
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled
- Coriander leaves
- Leftover sweetcorn see above
- 1 pot Wahaca salsa or your favourite salsa (optional)
- Any other favourites extras such as guacamole/sour cream/etc.
- Pre-heat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F and wrap the tacos in foil, ready to be popped in the oven 5 minutes before serving.
- Place all the ingredients for the roasted sweet potato cubes in a roasting tray and mix everything together thoroughly (I find it easiest to do this with my hands).
- Place in your pre-heated oven for 20 minutes.
- Ten minutes before the sweet potatoes are due to come out, fry the turkey in a tablespoon of olive oil for 3-5 mins until cooked through (if using turkey leftovers, ignore this step)
- Pop the foil wrapped tacos in the oven now to warm through.
- Next add the garlic, paprika, cumin and chilli to the turkey and fry for 2 minutes, before adding the black beans & sweetcorn and cooking for a further 3 minutes. Finally add the juice of 1 lime and stir.
- Serve the turkey, sweet potatoes and all the extras on the table for everyone to help themselves and make up their own tacos.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Get More Easy Peasy Leftovers Recipes here…
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a penny more – thanks in advance!