Last week we had fun trying out an organic veg box from Riverford Organic Farms. Because of the time of year, we had a lot of root veg and I wanted to do something more interesting with it than just serving it mashed or steamed. I pondered over a few ideas…a curry maybe…or some kind of root vegetable chilli…before deciding to turn it into a tagine…
Tagines are great because they are really easy to put together and they can be cooked in one pot. They work with lots of different veg (check out my aubergine and courgette version here) and so are perfect for using up veg from an organic veg box.
In this version I used carrots, onions, leeks, potatoes and red pepper, all from my Riverford box, plus half a butternut squash I had leftover in the fridge. But this would also work really well with other kinds of squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and parsnips too. Use whatever veg you like the best or have in the fridge. I added some garlic, spices and chilli to give it that North African vibe, plus a tin of chickpeas for protein and 2 tins of tomatoes to make up the sauce and served it sprinkled with coriander and pumpkin seeds for extra goodness and flavour…and also because it looks really pretty!
Packed full of root veg, this is very filling and could certainly be eaten on its own, but I served mine with wholewheat couscous, which is one of my new discoveries… It didn’t really occur to me until recently that most couscous is refined. Then, when I was reviewing Jamie’s Everyday Super Food, I discovered that you can also buy wholewheat couscous, which is apparently more nutritious and contains more fibre than the regular kind. Strangely, wholewheat couscous tastes very similar to the non-wholewheat version, so it was a no-brainer to switch…we always have the wholewheat version now!
Quick Root Veg and Chickpea Tagine with Wholewheat Couscous and Pumpkin Seeds (Vegan)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 leek sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander ground
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or as much as you like
- 750 g mixed root vegetables chopped into roughly 2cm chunks (I used potatoes, carrots and butternut squash)
- 1 red pepper chopped into 2cm chunks
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 400 g tin chickpeas drained
- Coriander leaves and pumpkin seeds to serve optional
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil into a wide, deep saucepan. Put the onion and leek in the saucepan and sweat on a low heat, with the lid on until soft but not brown – about 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, cumin, coriander and chilli flakes and cook on a low heat for one more minute, with the lid off.
- Add the mixed root veg and red pepper plus 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, the juice of half a lemon and some salt and pepper. Cook on a medium heat until the veg is nearly tender…about 15 minutes.
- Add a tin of chickpeas and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve with wholewheat couscous and sprinkle over some coriander leaves and pumpkin seeds