Unbelievably easy, these 2 Ingredient Yogurt Flatbreads are the perfect side dish for tagines, pilafs and other Middle Eastern inspired dishes.
I really love flatbreads – and eat quite a lot of them, especially with the many Middle Eastern inspired recipes I seem to be creating at the moment!
There are so many recipes for flatbreads out there, some are as simple as flour and water – while others involve yeast and can be rather complicated and time consuming…these yogurt flatbreads bridge the gap, with a better flavour and texture compared to the flour and water version, but with much less hassle and faff than the yeasted versions, they are utterly delicious and super duper simple to make.
And the recipe? Simply equal parts yogurt and self raising flour (or self rising flour, if you are in the US) – and that’s it.
Well OK I slightly cheated with the recipe description as you do also need a little oil to help roll these flatbreads out – you can do it with extra flour, but I find the dusting of flour burns on the hot pan and by the third or fourth flatbread it’s not so nice – oil works much better!
And to cook these scrummy flatbreads, all you need is a super hot pan – roll them out and then pop them in the pan, they take just a few seconds on each side and they are very easy to flip over (nothing like as difficult as a pancake!) and voilà – hot and tasty homemade flatbreads straight from the pan!
I made this batch to go with my Moroccan Spiced Roasted Vegetable Traybake – a delicious vegetarian traybake, infused with harissa and topped with thick slices of roasted halloumi cheese.
But these simple yogurt flatbreads would go brilliantly with all kinds of tagines and other Middle Eastern inspired dishes…I would particularly recommend them with my Chicken Shawarma and my Harissa Prawns.
Easy 2 Ingredient Yogurt Flatbreads
- 250 g plain full fat Greek Yogurt
- 250 g self raising flour AKA self rising flour
- Oil for rolling out
- Mix the Greek yogurt and flour together in a large bowl, then leave to rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Divide the dough into 8 and roll into 8 balls.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over a high heat and roll out your first flatbread to about the side of a side plate – use a little oil on the work surface to stop the dough sticking.
- When the pan is really hot, lay the flatbread in the pan and cook for 20 seconds, or until the flatbread is covered in brown spots (but not burnt!!)
- Flip the flatbread over and cook on the other side for a further 20 seconds, or until covered in brown spots and cooked through.
- While the first flatbread is cooking, roll out the second flatbread so it is ready.
- Put the cooked flatbread on a plate and repeat the process, until all the flatbreads are cooked.
Please note you will also need to allow 20 minutes for the dough to rest, so a total of 35 minutes (but only 15 minutes active time).
Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Want more Middle Eastern Inspired Recipes? Find more here…
Pin Moroccan Lamb Chops for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?