Delicious, warming and very easy this Chorizo, Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew is full of fab Spanish flavours and can be made in just 30 minutes, making it perfect for a busy weeknight!
I have taken inspiration from Spain for my latest easy peasy midweek meal. This quick and easy stew is loaded up with delicious Spanish flavours of paprika, garlic, chilli and chorizo, but it is also positively packed with veggies – nutritious spinach, sweet potato and chickpeas, making it yummy and good for you too!
I have chosen to use regular chorizo and add a few chilli flakes in for an extra kick…this is mainly so I can control the amount of chilli to make it just perfect …and not too hot for the kiddos! But if you want to make this even easier for yourself, simply use spicy chorizo and no chilli for a slightly spicier stew. Alternatively, for a really spicy stew use spicy chorizo AND extra chilli!
This Chorizo, Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew is naturally gluten free and dairy free. If you want to make it vegetarian (and indeed vegan), miss out the chorizo and instead add some strips of red pepper, together with a little extra smoked paprika and garlic to make up for what you lose taking the chorizo out.
This stew is fab eaten on its own or with a big chunk of crusty bread, but if you want to eke it out a bit further, serve with rice (I love this with brown rice)…it’s only one more pot to wash up! Can’t face the extra washing up? Use one of those handy microwave pouches instead!!
A lovely Spanish stew deserves a lovely Spanish wine – go for a young Rioja (look out for the word Joven on the label) or else a Tempranillo or Garnacha from elsewhere in Spain. If red is not your thing, go for a Garnacha rosado (rosé) instead.
One Pot Chorizo, Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew
Delicious, warming and very easy this Chorizo, Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew is full of fab Spanish flavours and can be made in just 30 minutes, making it perfect for a busy weeknight! (Serves 4-6 depending on appetite.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 200 g chorizo sliced or diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400 g sweet potato roughly 1 medium one, cut into 1cm chunks
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin chickpeas
- 200 ml water (possibly more if your pan is shallow)
- 100 g baby spinach
- Place the oil and the onions in a large pan. Cook over a low heat for 3 minutes, until the onions are starting to soften. Add the chorizo and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika and chilli and cook for 1 more minute. Add a splash of water if it gets too dry.
- Add the sweet potato, tomatoes, chickpeas and water and bring to the boil. Turn down, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked, then stir through the spinach and cook until just wilted – about 1 minute.
- Serve on its own or with bread or rice.
Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Chorizo, Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?