Quick, simple, healthy and tasty – these are some of my favourite words when it comes to food and this deliciously easy Chicken, Apricot and Almond Tagine ticks all those boxes and more!
I am a big, big fan of tagines and you will find lots of tagines on Easy Peasy Foodie…there is something about that delicious combination of meltingly tender meat, aromatic spices, sweetness from the dried fruit and just a touch of heat from the chillies that gets me every time.
That and they are so easy peasy to make – just a few simple ingredients thrown into the pot, not too much chopping, and then let it all bubble away on the stove or in the oven until it’s ready. Definitely my kind of cooking!
You don’t need any fancy equipment either – yeah sure you can buy yourself a proper tagine with a conical lid – and I keep meaning to get one because it would sooo good in my photos. But you absolutely don’t need one…I usually use my cast iron pot (like a Le Creuset only cheaper – one of my favourite pieces of cooking equipment ever, I now have 3!!), but if you don’t have a cast iron pot, just a regular large-ish saucepan will be fine.
Not only is this delicious Chicken, Apricot and Almond Tagine really easy to make, but it is also really quick too – this recipe can be on the table in under 30 minutes…and yet with a judicious scattering of almonds and coriander, it looks (and tastes) like you’ve been slaving away in the kitchen for hours!! (Promise I won’t tell 😉 )
It would make a great dinner party dish served with a couple of other Middle Eastern inspired dishes…but it is quick and easy enough to do midweek too – just serve with couscous, flatbreads or rice…or why not try this tagine with my Coconut Cauliflower Rice for an ever lighter dish?
This recipe is another great one to make a double quantity of and save the rest for the next day, or stash in the freezer for a quick and easy ready meal sometime in the future. When you want to eat it, simply defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat in a saucepan, with a splash of water until piping hot.
To drink with this, I would go for either a zingy Sauvignon Blanc or a Grenache based rose from the South of France or Spain (where Grenache is called Garnacha). If it must be red, go for a Southern French red or a lighter style Rioja.
Chicken, Apricot and Almond Tagine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 600 g chicken thigh fillets (no bone or skin), chopped into 2cm/1inch chunks
- 3 cloves garlic grated or crushed
- 3 cm ginger grated
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (or to taste – add more if you like things hot!)
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml water (i.e. half the tomato can)
- 12 dried apricots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- Couscous, bulgur wheat, rice or flatbreads to serve
- Place the oil and onions in a deep, wide saucepan. Cover and place over a low heat. Cook gently for 3 minutes until softened but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat up and add the chicken. Fry over a high heat for 3 minutes until the chicken has browned a little.
- Turn the heat back down and add the garlic, spices and chilli flakes. Fry gently for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a splash of water if it gets dry.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water, salt and pepper, plus the dried apricots. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer with the lid off for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of coriander.
- Serve scattered with the extra fresh coriander and flaked almonds.
- For extra flavour you can dry fry the flaked almonds in a small frying pan for a couple of minutes first.
Love chicken? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Chicken Recipes…
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Chicken, Apricot and Almond Tagine for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!