A delicious homemade tomato pasta sauce, perfectly cooked aubergines and salty, stretchy, gooey strings of Mozzarella make this simple Aubergine and Mozzarella Pasta recipe a real family favourite. Ready in under 30 minutes it’s perfect for busy weeknights!
This Aubergine and Mozzarella Pasta is a dish I have been making my family for years. It actually started off life as a Jamie Oliver recipe (from Jamie’s Dinners.) Over time I’ve tweaked it a bit to simplify the ingredients a bit and make it easier to make, but it’s no less yummy! And now it’s easier to make, we can have it more often – hooray! 😀
This recipe is an absolute favourite with my kids who love the soft, warm, stringy mozzarella and will happily eat their way through moundfuls of aubergine and tomatoey pasta in order to be allowed some more mozzarella!
This delicious Aubergine and Mozzarella Pasta can be enjoyed on it’s own as a quick and simple midweek dinner or it can be enjoyed with a side salad and some garlic bread for a more substantial meal.
It goes brilliantly with crisp, dry Italian whites such as Pinot Grigio, Soave or Verdicchio. Alternatively it also goes well with Sauvignon Blanc. If you prefer red, try a Montepulciano d’Abbruzzo or a simple Chianti.
If you should be lucky enough to have some leftovers (or you make extras specifically), this Aubergine and Mozzarella Pasta can be reheated in the oven and turned into a pasta bake – reheat in a baking dish covered with foil at 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 / 350F for 20-30 minutes.
Aubergine and Mozzarella Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion you can use a white one, but I prefer red in this recipe
- 1 medium aubergine chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 clove of garlic crushed or finely diced
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 300 g penne pasta you could make this with any shape, but I like it best with penne
- A small handful of basil leaves roughly torn
- 150 g ball mozzarella chopped roughly
- Put a the olive oil in the base of a wide, deep pan. Add the chopped red onion and put the lid on. Sweat the onion on a low heat until it is translucent, but not brown - about 5 minutes. Meanwhile you can chop the other veggies.
- Turn the heat up high and add the aubergine. Stir-fry until the aubergine is nicely browned, (you may need to add a splash more oil), then turn down the heat and add the crushed garlic and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper, then bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes with the lid off, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions / your own preferences.
- Drain the pasta and tip it into the sauce, stirring thoroughly to coat the pasta in the sauce. You may want to add a drop or two of the pasta cooking water to make the sauce looser.
- Finally, add the basil leaves and mozzarella and stir again. There should be just enough heat in the pan to warm and slightly soften the mozzarella. Yum!
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Aubergine and Mozzarella Pasta for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!