This Super Simple Carrot Cake is a lovely easy peasy recipe. It is incredibly light and moist and the olive oil gives it an amazing extra dimension. (N.B. you can always use sunflower oil if you don’t like the flavour of olive oil.) Although it takes a long time in the oven, the prep is minimal and it tastes and smells amazing!
I prefer this just as it is with no icing, but I’ve added a simple cream cheese frosting recipe in case you have a sweeter tooth than me!
It’s really important to like the cake tin in this recipe. Lining a cake tin is really simple and stops the cake overcooking on the base and sides. Double over the greaseproof paper and draw round the base of your cake tin, then cut out the two circles. To line the sides, cut out a piece long enough to go all the way round the tin and twice the height, then fold it over lengthways. Grease the tin with a little olive oil and use a little olive oil to make the two circles stick together. Put the circles in the bottom of the tin and the long bit round the sides.
Super Simple Carrot Cake
- 350 g self raising flour sieved
- 325 g dark soft brown sugar sieved
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 250 g carrots grated
- 75 g walnuts roughly chopped
- 4 medium eggs
- 200 ml olive oil
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 180 g full fat cream cheese I used Philadelphia Original
- 30 g icing sugar sieved
- 25 g walnuts finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease and line the bottom and sides of a 22cm round cake tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper. (See note below.)
- Mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, roughly chopped walnuts and grated carrots in a large bowl.
- Beat together the eggs, olive oil and milk in a large jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients slowly, stirring to make sure all the flour is incorporated.
- Tip the cake mixture into the lined cake tin and cook for 1h15, or until a skewer comes out clean. (I don't actually own a skewer so I use a teaspoon handle instead!)
- Simply mix the cream cheese and icing sugar together and spread it on the top of the cake. Sprinkle the finely chopped walnuts on the top.