A simple, quick and totally tasty lamb recipe, this Lamb Keema Biryani is a perfect midweek meal for when time is tight, but delicious enough for the weekend too.
So last week I was contacted by the folks at ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’ to collaborate on a couple of delicious, midweek lamb recipes.
‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’, is an EU funded campaign to encourage the use of lamb in everyday cooking. Lamb is often considered difficult to cook, expensive, or something to be saved for Sunday roasts. The aim of the campaign is to demonstrate just how tasty, easy and fun lamb is to cook with every day of the week!
As you know I am passionate about recipes which are delicious but also easy, stress-free and family friendly, so I couldn’t wait to get started.
The people at the ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’ Campaign set me two challenges: the first was to cook and review a recipe from their website, and the second was to create a tasty, easy and fun lamb recipe all of my own.
If you haven’t seen it yet, I really recommend you check out my review of their Lamb Stew with Spices, Butternut Squash and Chestnuts, which I shared yesterday. It was an absolutely delicious dish, that is so perfect for this time of year, easy to make and, as a bonus, left me with a couple of extra portions for the next day.
But today I want to share with you the second part of the challenge…my very own tasty, easy and fun lamb recipe, which is…Lamb Keema Biryani!
Lamb Keema Biryani combines two classic Indian dishes: Lamb Keema, which is lamb mince cooked with spices and chilli, and Biryani, which is a well loved Indian dish made with spices, rice, and meat. By using lamb mince in the biryani, it makes this dish very easy and quick – perfect for a midweek meal.
To add extra veggies to this meal, and because they go so well, I have roasted some aubergine and cauliflower in the oven with some cumin, to toss into the biryani at the end, just before serving, but if you are tight for time you could omit this step, or maybe just throw in some frozen peas instead, and you would still have a delicious meal.
Although this is a very easy and quick dish to prepare, it could easily be jazzed up with some extras such as naan breads, pickles, chutneys or a simple raita.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Lamb Keema Biryani
Cumin Roasted Aubergine and Cauliflower
- 1 aubergine chopped into 1cm chunks
- ½ cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
Lamb Keema Biryani
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 400 g lamb mince
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or 1 fresh chilli diced (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 300 g basmati rice
- 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 200 ml water (half fill the empty coconut milk tin)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander chopped finely (plus extra for sprinkling)
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Place all the ingredients for the Cumin Roasted Aubergine and Cauliflower in a large oven tray and toss together. When the oven has reached the right temperature, roast the vegetables for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the diced onion in a large frying pan or sauté pan (must have a lid), fry gently for 3 minutes or until softened but not browned.
- Turn up the heat and add the lamb mince, fry for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Reduce the heat again and add the garlic, chilli and spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the rice in the onions, mince and spices, then add the coconut milk and water and bring to the boil. Put a lid on the frying pan and turn the heat right down, simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the rice is done to your liking. If it starts sticking before the rice is cooked, add an extra splash of water.
- Finally stir in the roasted aubergine and cauliflower and 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander.
- Sprinkle extra coriander on top and serve with all your favourite extras, such as naan breads, pickles and chutneys.
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Lamb Keema Biryani for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
This is a collaborative post with the ‘Lamb. Tasty Easy Fun’ campaign.