This amazing Peach and Cherry Crumble is an insanely delicious, super simple, healthy and totally gluten free version of the humble crumble. Adapted from Get the Glow by Madeleine Shaw.
I am a huge fan of crumble, it is such a fabulously tasty and totally easy peasy dessert, which can be put together in minutes and left to do its thing in the oven. However, with all that refined white flour and sugar, it’s not exactly a health food, is it? So it has always been an occasional treat for me – until now…
Enter this amazing Peach and Cherry Crumble! A crumble that is bursting with goodness AND deliciousness… AND it’s easy to make… AND it’s also glutenfree, dairy free and vegan, making it a great crowd pleaser!
This recipe is adapted from Madeleine Shaw’s Cherry Crumble. Last week I reviewed Madeleine Shaw’s first book Get the Glow and this delicious dessert was definitely one of the highlights.
I have slightly adapted Madeleine’s recipe. In her version she uses only cherries, but I didn’t have quite enough cherries, and so I decided to add in a couple of leftover peaches I had lurking in my kitchen. I’m so glad I did because it really worked and added even more deliciousness and goodness into the mix.
The other change I made was to add a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup into the crumble topping – I don’t have an incredibly sweet tooth, but I did find the crumble just needed a touch of sweetness to make it sing. If you have a sweeter tooth than me, you might find you want to add a little bit more.
Madeleine serves her crumble with cashew nut cream, which I have to say, I didn’t bother with as it seemed a bit of a faff. Instead I like to serve this delicious Peach and Cherry Crumble with plain full-fat Greek yogurt. (My husband and kids prefer this with ice cream!).
If you need a dairy free alternative, I reckon coconut yogurt or coconut cream would work really well with this crumble as it would complement the coconut oil in the topping.
This was another recipe where the kids totally amazed me – they really enjoyed it. And my little boy even came back for seconds – of the crumble, not the ice cream!
This recipe is a great one for making in advance – just prep it all earlier in the day, when you have time and keep it in the fridge until you are ready. Then pop it in the oven 30 minutes before you need it. (It needs the slightly longer cooking time as it will be fridge cold).
And it is a fab one for leftovers too – either eat cold or reheat in the oven at 200C (180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F) for about 20 minutes. (Put the dish in the oven while the oven is heating up and start counting the 20 minutes then, not when the oven is at temperature.)
Gluten Free Peach and Cherry Crumble
- 400 g cherries stoned
- 2 peaches or nectarines, stoned and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 100 g walnuts
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 g gluten free oats do check the packet carefully if you need this to be gluten free
- 75 g coconut oil or softened butter if you don’t need this to be dairy free
- Preheat the oven to 200C /180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F.
- Prepare the fruit, then place it in a small saucepan over a low heat together with 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup, the spices and the orange juice and zest. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping. Finely chop the walnuts, or blitz them using a hand blender or food processor. Add the oats and the ground almonds and stir to combine.
- Next add the coconut oil/butter and rub this into the oats/nuts mixture until fairly evenly distributed. Finally stir the remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup into the crumble mixture.
- Pour the cherry mixture into an oven dish and top with the crumble mixture. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes or until golden on top and bubbling.
- Serve with yogurt, ice cream, cream or a dairy free alternative.
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!