An easy, vegetarian version of a Greek classic, this Easy Quorn Moussaka can be made in just 45 minutes – perfect for busy evenings!
I am such a big fan of Quorn – I always keep a bag or two of Quorn stashed in the freezer. It makes a really great midweek meal standby as I always know I can make a quick Quorn Bolognese or Quorn Stir Fry if plans change and I need to make a meal in a hurry!
One thing I love about it is how quick it is to cook. You can cook it straight from frozen and it’s done in a few minutes – no long simmering! And the texture is lovely and soft and not chewy – making it very child friendly.
I also love how healthy it is: low in calories and fat and high in fibre. Plus it’s super versatile – I do all sorts quit quorn, but my favourites have to be my Quorn Chicken Pie and this, my Easy Quorn Moussaka.
Moussaka is traditionally a complicated and time-consuming dish. Delicious, but not ‘easy peasy’. This version, however, is super easy – and quick! Simply fry the aubergine slices, make a simple Quorn mince, mushroom and tomato filling and top it all off with a ‘cheat’s’ cheese sauce made with a mixture of Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese.
This Quorn mince moussaka is definitely easy enough to make on a busy weeknight, but definitely delicious enough to have at the weekend too – it would make a great vegetarian Sunday lunch!
My Easy Quorn Moussaka is lovely just as it is, or you could serve it with a simple salad and some garlic bread.
A great wine match for this dish would be a Cotes du Rhone, or another Grenache or Syrah blend.
Easy Quorn Moussaka
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 medium aubergines sliced ½ cm thick
- 1 red onion chopped finely
- 200 g mushrooms chopped
- 300 g Quorn mince
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Salt and pepper
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250 g Greek yogurt
- 100 g cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F.
- Put a large drizzle of oil in a frying pan and put on a high heat. Add to the pan as many aubergine slices as will fit in one layer and cook until golden brown. Turn the aubergine slices over and brown the other side.
- Put the cooked aubergine slices on a plate, add some more oil to the pan and repeat until all the aubergine slices are cooked.
- Turn the heat down, add more oil to the pan and fry 1 chopped red onion until lightly brown, stirring occasionally
- Turn up the heat and add the chopped mushrooms. Fry until brown, then add in the Quorn and turn the heat down again.
- Crumble over a stock cube and add some salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute, then add the tin of tomatoes and about ½ a tin of water.
- Turn up the heat until the tomatoes are bubbling and then turn down the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping by mixing the Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese.
- When the tomato mixture is ready you can layer up the moussaka. Put half the tomato mixture in an oven dish, then add half the aubergine in a single layer, then repeat with the remaining tomato mixture and aubergines and top with the cheesy yogurt topping.
- Put in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until bubbling.
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Easy Quorn Moussaka for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!