My perfect autumn/winter Sunday evening meal involves a warming pot of this Butternut Squash, Chilli and Coconut Milk Soup bubbling on the stove and fresh Pumpkin Seed and Rye Soda Bread cooking in the oven. Best of all I can make this whole meal in under 45 minutes. Plus if you make a double quantity of the soup you have a couple of lunches sorted for the week ahead. And making soup and bread on the same day makes me feel like some sort of domestic goddess!
This soup uses a whole butternut squash, but if you don’t like chopping up squashes, the supermarkets do packs of ready chopped squash in the freezer department, making this a handy standby meal. If you have kids (or grown-ups) who don’t like green things, then leave the coriander leaves out and serve separately. The same applies for the chilli flakes which can be served separately for everyone to add however much they want to their portion.
This soup would also make an excellent dinner party starter, as it can be made ahead of time and reheated. It’s particularly good if you have invited people with different dietary requirements as it is vegetarian, vegan, gluten free and dairy free. The soup looks very pretty decorated with fresh red chillies, pumpkin seeds and coriander leaves. But if that is too much fuss, just leave the decoration off, it will still taste delicious without the decoration!
This soup can be enjoyed chunky or smooth. To get your soup super smooth I would really recommend using the Froothie Optimum 2.3 Blender – it’s amazing at getting soups silky smooth! (If you want to find out more read my Froothie Optimum 2.3 Blender review.)
Butternut Squash, Chilli and Coconut Milk Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 butternut squash (approx. 1kg/2lb), peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic grated or crushed
- 2 cm ginger grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400 ml tin coconut milk
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons coriander (cilantro) leaves chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Pumpkin seeds and sliced fresh red chilli for garnish (optional)
- Put the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the diced onion. Fry on a gentle heat with the lid on for 5 minutes until softened but not brown. Stir occasionally.
- When the onions are softened, add the cubed butternut squash, garlic, chilli flakes and ginger and fry on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the butternut squash is soft.
- Turn the heat off and add the juice of half a lime plus the chopped coriander and blitz with a blender until smooth.
- Serve the soup decorated with coriander leaves, pumpkin seeds and slices of fresh red chilli.
Want to find more great vegetarian meal ideas? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes…
Pin Butternut Squash, Chilli and Coconut Milk Soup for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am a Froothie ambassador and this post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy a Froothie product using my links, I will get a small commission, but it will not cost you a penny more. Please rest assured I only recommend products that I like and find helpful in the kitchen and think my readers will like too.
For more information on collaborative posts please read my disclosure page.