Healthy, easy and delicious, these Oat, Almond and Banana Pancakes with Frozen Berry Compote are gluten, dairy and egg free. They are free from refined sugar and vegan too, meaning almost everybody can enjoy them!
I must admit, I had a lot of fun developing and photographing these pancakes – and I love the result, they look and taste so decadent…but actually they are chock full of goodness and really healthy – full of fruit, nuts and oats and only 1 tablespoon of maple syrup per person they look a lot more indulgent than they really are!
If you haven’t met them already, there is a fabulous free-from community of bloggers on the internet…and they have kindly welcomed me in, even though I do rather feel like an interloper at times – I don’t have any food allergies and neither do my kids…but I do have friends and family members who have allergies and intolerances and I know lots of my readers do too…and well, basically I am a passionate foodie who hates the idea of someone not getting to enjoy all the foodie fun!
I try and make sure lots of my recipes are free from some of the common allergens, so as many people as possible can enjoy them, and actually, I don’t have to try too hard – I find that many of my recipes are naturally free-from, since I generally cook from scratch rather than use processed food with all sorts of hidden gubbins.
And when I do make free-from food on purpose, I actually really relish the challenge – I find it fun to test myself and push myself out of the traditional ways of doing things, and do you know what? I usually find the results are tastier, healthier AND easier than the standard versions.
Take these pancakes for example – I was set the challenge, by the group of lovely free-from bloggers that I am part of, of making free from pancakes – free from one of the common allergens such as dairy, eggs, or gluten – so obviously me being me, I decided I would try and make my pancakes free from dairy, eggs AND gluten.
And the result, far from being some poor man’s version of the classic pancake, is actually nicer, in my opinion, AND healthier! I love the idea of being able to wolf down these pancakes, full of healthy oats, bananas, berries and almonds virtually guilt free – and not only do they taste wonderful, but they are also super filling – these kept me going all afternoon, when normally I’d be reaching for the snacks long before dinner (yes I ate them for lunch – it’s one of the perks of being a blogger, what can I say – lunchtime is the best light for photography at this time of year!!)
But best of all, these pancakes are super easy to make, in fact I would go as so far as to say they are actually easier than standard pancakes – I have had my fair share of pancake disasters in the past, and we all know about the ‘first pancake’ which is supposed to always turn out badly! Well, not these pancakes – the mixture is quite thick so they are a doddle to make into a nice shape AND every pancake was a triumph…even the first one! I do love a good foolproof recipe 🙂
One thing I would say is these pancakes do seem to brown quite quickly, so once you’ve heated up your pan, turn it down to a lowish heat, or these pancakes will cook too quickly on the outside before the inside has had time to cook properly.
Another thing that made this recipe super simple is that I used my new toy: my Froothie Optimum G2.3 Platinum Series high-speed blender (you can read my review here). Of course you can use any decent blender, but if you don’t have one or need a new one, I would really recommend the Froothie Optimum G2.3 – I am so impressed with mine!
If time is short, you can of course skip out making the berry compote and serve with maple syrup instead, but honestly the compote is so ridiculously easy to make and really, really compliments the banana flavour of the pancakes – I would strongly encourage you to make it!!
It is not just me who has been hard at work eating, sorry I mean ‘developing’, free-from pancakes. Below the recipe I am showcasing 12 other delicious #FreeFromPancakes – do take a look there are some FANTASTIC ideas!!
- 200g frozen berries (plus extra to serve)
- 100ml water
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup (plus extra to serve)
- 200g almonds
- 200g gluten free oats (or normal ones if you don’t need this to be gluten free)
- 3 medium bananas
- 400ml almond milk (or your preferred milk)
- Olive or coconut oil for frying
- First, turn your oven on to 100C and put a plate in there to heat up. As you make the pancakes, simply place the cooked ones on the plate in the oven to keep warm.
- Next, make the compote. Place the frozen berries and water in a small pan, bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick and gloopy- squishing any big berries down. Turn the heat off and add the maple syrup.
- While the compote is cooking, place the oats and almonds in your blender and pulse until a flour like consistency, then add the bananas and almond milk and pulse again until combined. You should have a very thick, completely smooth batter.
- Next, heat a non-stick pan and add a very small amount of oil, just enough to coat the bottom of your pan. Turn your pan down to a lowish heat and then, using a very large spoon, scoop out a dollop of batter and place it in your hot pan – spread out to a pancake shape and repeat as many times as you can fit into your pan.
- When each pancake is cooked on one side, flip it over and cook on the other side then place on the plate in the oven to keep warm and continue until you have used all the batter.
- When all the pancakes are ready, create stacks of 5 for each person spreading a little of the compote between each pancake and then pouring the rest of the compote over the top of the stack, decorate with extra frozen berries and then drizzle over a little extra maple syrup, if you wish.
Pin Oat, Almond and Banana Pancakes with Frozen Berry Compote for later
12 More #FreeFromPancakes Recipes
Ultimate Gluten Free Dairy Free Pancakes from Renee at Mummy Tries
Easy Pancakes in a Jar from Vicki at Free From Fairy
Perfect Free From Pancakes from Nathalie at Intolerant Gourmand
Vegan and Gluten Free Chia Seed Pancakes from Emma at Free From Farmhouse
Apple and Cinnamon Free From Pancakes from Rebecca at Glutarama
Banana Pancakes from Mel at Le Coin de Mel
Coconut Pancakes from Nova at Cherished by Me
Grain and Dairy Free Pancakes with Almond and Banana from Jo at Paleo Crust
Coconut and Lime Freefrom Pancakes with Grilled Pineapple & Ginger Syrup from Midge at The Peachicks Bakery
Dairy Free Classic Lemon & Sugar Pancakes from Laura at Dairy Free Kids
Beetroot Buttermilk Pancakes Two Ways from Kate at Gluten Free Alchemist
Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Pancakes from Kirsty at Hijacked by Twins
I am a Froothie ambassador and this post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy a Froothie product using my links, I will get a small commission, but it will not cost you a penny more. Please rest assured I only recommend products that I like and find helpful in the kitchen and think my readers will like too.
For more information on collaborative posts please read my disclosure page.