Pork and Sweet Potato Chilli Con Carne
A quick and tasty twist on the Tex-Mex classic, this Pork & Sweet Potato Chilli Con Carne is perfect for busy weeknights, filling the freezer or a lazy weekend lunch.
Servings 4 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 500 g pork mince
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or more if you like it hot!
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 garlic cloves crushed or finely chopped
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin pinto beans including the water (or black beans or kidney beans)
- 400 g sweet potato chopped into small chunks
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Brown rice (or white rice/tacos/tortilla wraps…)
- Guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc.
Put the olive oil, red onion and red pepper in a large, wide saucepan. Put a lid on and gently cook for 3 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions and peppers have softened.
Remove the lid and turn the heat up, add the pork mince and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring frequently and gently breaking up the pork mince.
Add the chilli, cumin, paprika, oregano and garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add the tin of tomatoes plus the tin of pinto beans (including the water), the sweet potato and some salt and pepper and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 20 minutes, turn off the heat and then add the juice of one of the limes and 1 tablespoonful of chopped coriander and stir. Cut the other lime into 4 wedges.
Scatter the chilli con carne with more coriander and serve with the brown rice, lime wedges and guacamole/salsa/sour cream/etc.
Suitable for freezing. Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Calories: 633kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 1487mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 15975IU | Vitamin C: 69.3mg | Calcium: 175mg | Iron: 6mg