Want something different to do with your turkey leftovers this year? How about making this Mexican-style rice salad? This gorgeous salad is full of delicious Tex-Mex flavours, inspired by chilli con carne and guacamole, and is great for using up a small amount of leftover turkey pieces and transforming them into something very exciting indeed!
If you don’t have any turkey leftovers, this would work equally as well with leftover cooked chicken or some cooked prawns or leave out the meat altogether and this would make a delicious vegetarian and vegan friendly meal. It is also naturally gluten free and dairy free, making this a great choice for serving at a Boxing Day or New Year’s Day buffet, where there might be a variety of different dietary requirements to cater for.
I’ve made this a warm salad as I much prefer warm food at this time of the year, but this salad tastes equally great cold. Just leave it too cool to room temperature, then put it in the fridge for a couple of hours to get properly cold. Alternatively, if you are in a hurry, cool the rice under cold water and drain thoroughly, then add in all the other ingredients without cooking them first – it will taste different, but still delicious!
I have used fresh red chillies and extra spring onions for garnish, but feel free to miss that off if you don’t want the bother or are catering for those who don’t like hot food. If you want to increase the heat in this dish, add half a fresh red chilli to the frying pan with the spring onions for a fiery kick!
For me this is a complete meal in itself but if you are feeling the need for something extra you could serve this with some bread, extra avocado or a green salad. This would also be really delicious with a big scoop of homemade guacamole. This salad would go brilliantly with a glass of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.
- 200g rice (white, brown or wild)
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- 200g leftover cooked turkey or chicken, roughly chopped or shredded
- 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 400g tin kidney beans
- 150g cherry tomatoes, chopped into quarters
- 1 avocado, diced
- Sliced fresh red chilli and extra spring onions for garnish (optional)
- First, cook your rice according to the packet instructions or your personal preferences.
- While the rice is cooking slice your spring onions, dice your red pepper and finely chop or crush the garlic.
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil into a pan and fry the onions, peppers and garlic for about two minutes. Add the turkey pieces and fry for another 3 minutes until the turkey is piping hot all the way through.
- Add the chilli powder, salt and pepper, plus the juice of one lime and stir together. Tip in the kidney beans and cook for another 3 minutes until the kidney beans are warmed through. Add in the chopped tomatoes and avocado and mix everything together. Allow the tomatoes and avocados to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir everything together. Add another drizzle of olive oil and serve, on its own or with some bread or extra avocado and a glass of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.