This Sticky Harissa Chicken Traybake, is simple, quick and delicious – perfect for busy weeknights. It’s also healthy, gluten free and dairy free!
Regular readers of Easy Peasy Foodie will know that I am a big traybake fan! I love any meal where the prep is quick and simple and the oven does all the work. Even better if there is only one pan to wash up afterwards. This quick and simple traybake fits the bill perfectly.
Plus it is super delicious…how could it not be, with tender roasted chicken thighs (or legs) roasted in a super scrumptious mix of harissa, olive oil, lemon and honey and paired with sweet potatoes, chickpeas, peppers and kale.
This scrumptious meal is not only quick and easy, it is also pretty healthy – packed full of healthy veggies and lean protein (make it more lean by removing the chicken skin if you wish). This recipe is also gluten free and dairy free (but do check the label of the harissa you use carefully, or make your own). If you want to keep this sugar free, omit the honey.
For a wine match, I suggest a Southern French Grenache or a Spanish Garnacha – either a red or a rosé version would work well.
- 8 chicken thighs (or legs, or a mixture), bone in and skin on
- 800g sweet potato, skin on and chopped into bitesize chunks
- 2 red/yellow/orange peppers, cut into bitesize chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 teaspoons mild harissa (I use Tesco Ingredients)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 100g kale
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained thoroughly
- 4 tablespoons honey (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Place the chicken pieces, sweet potato and peppers into a large roasting tray.
- Mix together the olive oil, harissa, salt and pepper. Squeeze in the juice from the lemon quarters. Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables and throw the squeezed lemon quarters into the tray too.
- Using your hands (or a couple of large spoons) toss all the ingredients in the harissa mixture, then place the roasting tray into the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the kale in a colander and pour over a kettle full of boiling water to soften the kale. Drain thoroughly.
- After 45 minutes, remove the traybake from the oven and remove all the chicken pieces to a plate. Add the drained chickpeas and kale and toss all the vegetables together, then replace the chicken pieces on top and squeeze about half a tablespoon of runny honey over each chicken piece (optional).
- Return the roasting tray to the oven for 5 more minutes, to cook the kale and warm the chickpeas, then serve.
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Sticky Harissa Chicken Traybake for later
Don’t want to miss a thing?