This quick and easy one pot Quinoa, Kale and Borlotti Bean Stew ticks so many boxes – it’s gluten free, dairy free, vegan, full of goodness, comforting and above all totally delicious.
It is rare for food to be comforting AND healthy, it is usually one or the other, isn’t it? But this gorgeous vegan stew is one of those rare exceptions. It is full of goodness, from the kale, quinoa, borlotti beans, garlic, carrots, tomatoes and courgettes and yet it is so fabulously warm and comforting. Plus this stew has bags of flavour and is ridiculously quick (15 minutes!!) and easy, and is made in one pot. Perfect for those evenings when you just want to flop!
It’s also easy peasy to adapt and sub in other things, making this great for clearing out the cupboards/fridge. You could use different veggies, different spices, different pulses – chickpeas would work well…you could also swap the tomatoes for coconut milk and even sub in spring greens or spinach instead of the kale.
To make this super quick I have used a ready cooked bag of quinoa – my favourite is the red and white quinoa from Merchant Gourmet. But you can cook your own quinoa first if you prefer.
I think this makes a fab one pot meal in its own right, but if you feel the need, you could serve this as a side dish instead, with grilled chicken or salmon.
To drink, this kind of tomato based veggie stew works very well with either a zingy Sauvignon Blanc, if you want white wine, or a soft and juicy Merlot if you prefer red. I think in both cases something from Chile or New Zealand would be fab.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium courgette, diced
- ½ - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
- Salt and pepper
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin borlotti beans
- 100g kale
- 250g pre-cooked quinoa
- In a large pan over a low heat, fry the onion, carrot and courgette for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown.
- Add the chilli, fennel and garlic and fry for 1 more minute, then add the salt and pepper, tomatoes, borlotti beans and kale. Turn the heat up and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and cook for 1 more minute and then serve.
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Quinoa Kale and Borlotti Bean Stew for later