Dusted with paprika and roasted in the oven, these Homemade Sweet Potato and Smoked Paprika Chips are so much tastier and healthier than shop bought oven chips and almost as easy!
Last autumn I was really inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Everyday Super Food book (which I reviewed earlier this year). One of the superfoods he really advocated were sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are apparently one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet: packed full of fibre, vitamins and antioxidants.
Since reading Jamie’s book I have used sweet potatoes in a lot more of my recipes: Chicken, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Traybake, Vegetable Mole and Harissa, Sweet Potato and Chickpea Tagine, for example. Not only can I feel super smug about being healthy but I absolutely love the flavour of sweet potatoes – they are totally delicious!!
Now, I have been making my own oven chips for yonks, but I’ve never quite got around to making sweet potato chips. Oh. My. Goodness. – I have been missing out!! I so enjoyed developing these sweet potato chips – they taste amazing!
Sweet potato chips taste great just on their own, but even more fabulous with the addition of a little smoked paprika. If you are not a fan of smoked paprika or fancy mixing things up a bit, you could try normal paprika or hot paprika, or swap the paprika for ground cumin, cayenne pepper or chilli flakes, or why not try a mixture? Cayenne pepper and cumin go particularly well together.
These homemade sweet potato and smoked paprika chips go really well with almost everything. They would be fab with a steak, a homemade burger, a grilled chicken breast or why not try them with with my pan fried tuna or lamb koftes?
- 1kg sweet potatoes (roughly 2 medium ones)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or normal paprika/cumin/cayenne pepper/dried chilli flakes)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or melted coconut oil)
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Cut the sweet potatoes roughly into chip shapes - leave the skin on for extra goodness!
- Place the sweet potatoes into a bowl and add the paprika, salt and oil. Mix together using your hands or a spoon (I find hands more effective!).
- Place the chips on a non stick baking tray, well spaced out so they are not touching each other (you may need 2 or 3 baking trays – if you don’t have that many, improvise using roasting tins or pizza trays!).
- Put the baking trays in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the trays from the oven and carefully turn over the chips using tongs or a fish slice (do this one tray at a time so the other chips don’t get cold).
- Put the trays back in the oven for a further 10 minutes or until cooked – I tend to find eating one is the best way to know if they are cooked or not 😉
Pin Homemade Sweet Potato and Smoked Paprika Chips for later